Monday, December 29, 2008

WHAT A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS










What a difference kids make (even when they are only 9 months old!). Christmas was just wonderful from start to finish. First of all, I didn't get all "wigged-out" on preparations. Note to self -- remember this next year. Truly, I have found that it is so much more enjoyable not to overdo things. And if some things don't get done, oh well. There's always next year. For those of you that have know me for many years, you know this is a transformation. And a welcome one. Great faith, frequent bible study, trust and the Holy Spirit have done wonders for me.

It was a bit different for us this year -- no kids at home Xmas Eve -- just Mark and I. We went to his mom's for dinner and then I met Mary Kay and Doc for Xmas Vigil Mass. It was beautiful and I loved listening to the adult choirs sing. Silent Night still gets me a little choked up as it was Grammy's favorite. Wonderful memories. When I came home, Mark and I opened our gifts to each other. It was kind of strange, but we quickly got into the spirit. He got me many nice things, but the sweetest was a collage frame that he put several pixs of Hunter & I in. He really is such a thoughtful guy. He also got me those small diamond stud earrings I've wanted (I guess he really does listen!)


We couldn't wait to see how Hunter reacted to everything. Needless to say, he could have cared less, but seemed to enjoy the excitement (for a while). We went out to TJ & Jenn's at 7:30 am (after a 2 a.m. bedtime, it felt like the old days). Jenn had breakfast pizza, muffins and fruit for us. TJ had the fuel (coffee). It was so cool that Jenn's mom and dad were able to be there "live" through skype. That was actually Hunter's favorite -- pushing the keys on the laptop! He was a pretty good trooper, but as most babes his age, liked the bows and the boxes.





The kids then came to our house a little later in the morning and opened their gifts. Every year we think we're getting better, but there's always still a good load for them, just more practical items these days! Steve laughed when he opened up a box of rubbermaid storage containers. He said he knew Christmas was different, but didn't think he'd be getting those already (he did like them). After everyone shipped out, Mark and I layed down for some rest. Wasn't enough for me, but we were to be at Jennifer & Ryans by 5 p.m.


It's always a full house when the McAllister side of the family gets together. Mark learned years ago that you go early, get a seat and don't move! Just kidding (I think). As usual there was lots of good food, good eats and lots of smiles. It was nice that Melanie and Scott were able to get in and Steve's friend from Phila (formerly from Ebensburg) "Joe" joined us for the evening as well. Jennifer's place is a great place for all of us to get together. It was fun watching Hunter and Mikayla. Mikayla loves to give him kisses, but gets mad when he doesn't kiss back.
It is too funny. Then when Hunter was in the kitchen eating his fingerfoods, she came over and took some (of course we're all laughing), but Hunter could have cared less -- as long as there was some for him. Then Mikayla comes back a little later and starts feeding him. She definitely has that motherly instinct at a very young age.
It was a wonderful Christmas. We are very thankful for our family and friends. Here's to a happy, healthy 2009!






2 comments:

Cyn said...

Ahhhhhhh! I miss you guys so much! What a wonderful Christmas! How touching! I'm sharing your wisdow of the "only doing what is mandatory philosohy." It makes life so much more enjoyable. But you're right- you still have to work at traning yourself to feel that way. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Cyn said...

My heart just skipped a beat watching your slide show! missing y'all! The pics of Hunter and McKayla are too cute!